Thursday 15 October 2020

Online Quiz League - Wednesday Report

Last week I started a series of posts running down the question set from the excellent Wednesday Night Online Quiz League so I thought I would continue the trend this week. Last night we were up against the Bletchingon Nomads . I was in seat 2b and my questions went like this...(The full set is available here if you want to see it)

 

Round 1 - Jaipur is the capital city of which Indian state? The state in question is the largest Indian state by area.

It is safe to say I got off to a bad bad start in this quiz which you will see in the next question more so. I have a real blind spot with Indian States and I certainly need to commit these more to memory. Safe to say, I did my usual trick of not answering my first questions correctly and passed to the team for a bonus. 

Answer: Rajasthan

 

Round 2 - Samuel Langhorne Clemens was known by the pen names Thomas Jefferson Sndograss, and Josh but, much more commonly by which pen name which came from his years working on riverboats?

And the award of one of the worst moments of my quizzing league days goes to....

Horrendous playing here. I have these moment in quizzes where I just go blank (see my first two goes at Fifteen to One) and an answer won't come to my brain to a question I've heard a million times before. This was probably one the highest % answers of the quiz across the league and as soon as my brain went dead, I knew it wasn't going to come.

Its more annoying that I missed this as the rest of the quiz went well and I could have had one of my best ever scores.....

Answer: Mark Twain

 

Round 3 - Traditionally, the silver wedding anniversary is celebrated after how many years of marriage?

My first 2 pointer. In recent weeks I have had questions about "Oak" anniversaries and such like, so I was glad this was a rather tamer one. Put me at ease after an horrendous start.

Answer: 25

 

 

Round 4 - In snooker, assuming no free balls, how many consecutive pots are needed in order to achieve a 147 break?

I managed to pick up 2 points again here. I imagine this is a fact a lot of people "just know" but I needed just about the full time work it out. I was happy to go into half time with 2 of my own correct and more importantly the team was building up a nice lead. 

Answer: 36

 

 

Round 5 - From 2007 until 2010, Noel Edmonds hosted the primetime version of which quiz show where contestants would have to answer ten questions taken from primary school textbooks? OQL player Barry Humphrey made an appearance on this show.

I had seen this show a couple of times and the only little doubt in my mind was whether or not it was "10 year old". However, I quickly remembered the annoying jingle from the show and was able to get the answer.

Answer: Are You Smarter Than a 10-Year-Old?

 

 

Round 6 - A follower of the textualist approach that was popularised by Scalia, which H.W. Bush appointed jurist is the second African American to serve on the court? His confirmation hearings are viewed as some of the most controversial moments in modern US political history.

Nothing much to add here. I just didn't know. Not so strong on US politics of his nature so wasn't able to field a guess, but luckily two team mates threw up a fist and got the bonus.

Answer: Clarence Thomas

 

Round 7 -What is the two-word name of the measurement of length that is roughly the distance from the Earth to the Sun?

The correct answer came to mind straight away but I had  a moment of major doubt as to whether it was right so ended up giving an unconvincing correct answer. I tried giving myelf the full ten seconds as I was convinced  there was something I was missing. But thankfully, the right answer was there along and I had reached my very base target of getting a (4)

Answer: Astronomical Unit

 

 

Round 8 - Del Shannon had his only UK Number One single in 1961 with which song?

As soon as I heard the words Del Shannon...."Runaway" was the only word in my mind. I am not even sure I could name any other Del Shannon songs so I was giving that answer no matter what the answer was. I obviously knew it somewhere deep down and managed to finish with 5 of my own questions, which considering how the set started for me I was pleased with.

Answer: Runaway

 I ended up with a 14 (5) which is a tad higher than my average and was able to pick up the following bonuses...


 


Bonus - First name required. The infamous EastEnders storyline "Who Killed Archie" culminated with a live broadcast where which character was revealed to have murdered Archie Mitchell?

Up until my mid-teens I did used to watch Eastenders and returned to watching it when the famous "Live Episode" was aired which concluded this storyline. I was confident enough to put out a fist and had my first bonus of the night. 

Answer: Stacey

 

Bonus - Which chemical element, with the atomic number 35, has a name that derives from the Greek word for 'stench'?

Rare for me to pick up any points on Science questions, let alone a bonus, but the "stench" clue was something I have came across several times so was able to steal a bonus.

Answer: Bromine


Bonus - First name required. The infamous EastEnders storyline "Who Killed Lucy Beale" culminated with the thirtieth anniversary episode of EastEnders where it was revealed that which character had committed the murder?

My first, and possibly only, "Bon Jovi" of the season. (Scoring points on both halves of a pair).  I thought the would be this or "Who Shot Phil?". I wasn't watching Eastenders at the time but this got solid media coverage and I remembered it from there.  I am not sure whether to proud of that or not.....

Answer: Bobby


Bonus - What is the surname of the Italian fashion designer with the forename Miuccia who is now the head designer of the company founded by her grandfather, Mario?

Another example of my pub-quiz setting helping me pick up points. I had set this as jackpot question some point last year, which would have won the player in question £300ish had he got it correct. A lot harder than the pair (Versace based question) but happy to take the point. Fashion, Science and Soaps.....

Answer: Prada

-----------

 

More importantly than all of the above, the final score ended up with a a 58 - 41 victory over Bletchingdon Nomads with a full house from Mat Williams! (Maybe the first full house we have had this season in the team!).  A great team effort and a win over solid opposition. 

That places us second in the league (table here) but as you can see from the table its way too close to call anything at this stage. 3 games to go, the promotion push is on........


No comments:

Post a Comment