Wednesday 21 October 2020

Quiz League Recap - Tuesday Night Quarantine Virtual Quiz League

As well as the Wednesday Night Online Quiz League which I have mentioned and recapped on the blog several times over the weeks, I have also been playing for the last few months in the Quarantine Virtual Quiz League on a  Tuesday. The league is ran by Dave Tilley and is currently towards the end of its second season. We have played in Division 2 this season, and secured the title last week, and with one game to go (dare I jinx it) we have yet to drop a game. 

Here is  recap of my seat last night in a game which we won by 5 points. It was set by a team lead by Paul Sinha (The Chase)....

 

Round 1 - Dane Whitman is the real name of which member of the comic book ‘Superteam’ known as “The Avengers”? He shares his name with a piece that you would find exactly two of at the start of the game of Chess.

With my recent run of not getting my own first question, I gave myself a little thinking time here and at least could take a guess. I didn't know it per se, but Knight sounded like the most plausible option (although I had to be prompted on just saying "Knight" when a decision had to be made....). Luckily I went for the right option!

Answer: Black Knight

 

Round 2 - In athletics who holds the world record for the men’s 800m? The record of 1:40:91 was set at the London Olympics in 2012. 

Athletics is quite a strong field for me, especially anything from the 1990s onwards and I am usually up to date on world records so I was happy this fell to me. Despite a little moment of "Who is Kiryani James again?" playing through my mind I picked up a 2 pointer on this. That must be at least the 5th or 6th set of points I have picked up across leagues this season on Athletics world records. Certainly a good list to be familiar with!

Answer: David Rudisha

 

Round 3 - Peter Firth as King Ernest Augustus, Alex Jennings as King Leopold and Diana Rigg as the Duchess of Buccluech are all supporting and guest characters in which British TV Drama from this decade?

Having not seen the show in question, or indeed the answer I gave, this was more of a guess due to the presence of the royalty in the question. As soon as The Crown entered my head, that was the answer I was going to give even though I did feel it was wrong, I wouldn't have got the correct answer of Victoria. (Although its one my watch list on Netflix....I need to watch more TV)

Answer: Victoria

 

 

Round 4 - According to ancient Greek and Roman Sources, who fled tyranny in (what is now) Lebanon to found the city of Carthage?

I was fairly confident on this, but just gave myself the full time to check I wasn't rushing in. A common quiz question and a correct answer meant I had started well with 3 out of my 4 questions (a rarity for me). Maybe this was the game I would get that elusive (6).

Answer: Dido

 

 

Round 5 - Chateau Petrus, probably the world’s most expensive wine, is produced in which wine growing commune close to St. Emilion, in the Bordeaux region of France? 

Food and Drink is one of my weakest areas and I have tried making some in roads, but this was a toughie which went for an X in the room. Ended up not even being able to give a sensible guess for what I thought was one of the toughest questions in the set.

Answer: Pomerol

 

 

Round 6 - The head of the villainous Lannister family on Game of Thrones was Tywin Lannister played by Charles Dance. Name any of the actors or actresses that played starred as one if his children, Ser Jaime, Cersai or Tyrion?

...see comment about. I should watch more TV. I have tried watching Game of Thrones numerous times and just can't seem to get into it. Had I had extra time I MAY have been able to get Dinklage here but the other two would never have came. And more to the point, Emilia Clarke (which was my given answer) wasn't a total guess but obviously this is something I need to invest time in watching. No excuses really, as it comes up in every form of quiz!

Answer: Nicolaj COSTER-WALDAU Lena HEADEY, Peter DINKLAGE

 

Round 7 - Following the removal of Lance Armstrong's Tour de France titles, four men each have five wins, but only one of them has five consecutive wins.  Name him?

No excuses for my wrong answer here. Had a bit of a mind block, as I wrongly predicted what the question was going to be so had to reset my though process. Time ran out, but the team picked it up for a bonus.

Answer: Miguel Indurain 

  

Round 8 - In which thoroughfare did the Great Fire of London begin in 1666?

The game had tightened by this point to just a 5 point gap, so I was happy to get a chestnut for my final questions.

Answer: Pudding Lane


I ended up with a 12 (4) which is spot on with regards to my average in this league, but feel again like I could have scored higher.  These are the bonuses I picked up.....


Bonus - Katherine Elizabeth Hudson is the real name of which singer born in 1984?

A bit of a pub quiz chestnut here, that I've set as many times as I've answered. 

Answer: Katy Perry

 

Bonus -In athletics who holds the World Record for the men’s mile? The record of 3:43:13 was set in 1999

Only 3 fingers out for this. I knew given the year and the distance knew who it was likely to be. I would have deferred to more fingers but the captain passed it to me.

Answer: Hitcham El Guerrouj


Bonus -HG Wells first name was also Herbert – what did the G stand for?

The pair to this has been the E in HE Bates which probably put the original player off this answer, thinking the G wouldn't be the most common G. 

Answer: George

-----------

 

A tough and challenging set, and other than one round which we won 7-1, it was very very close throughout. The 5 point win was hard fought indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment