Sunday 4 May 2014

My Time on Only Connect 2014...Part 1

Some longer term readers may recall that back in November last year, shortly before recording my Brain of Britain episode in Salford I headed down to Cardiff to take part in the current series of Only Connect. Always an ambition but a show I never thought I would be able to take part in due to needing a team of 3 equally keen people. But alas, Chris Curtis contacted me mentioning that he and his brother were keen to take part and asked if I would like to join them. I of course jumped at the chance!




The audition itself took place in Manchester as was a brief run through of the game with three producers of the show and a small chat. No more than 30 minutes if memory serves me correctly. I think after the audition, we, or at least I was quietly confident of making it onto the show and sure enough Chris got the call some weeks later to tell us we had made it and to plan for Cardiff!


Coming from Sunderland the travel down was some trek! Train to Birmingham and then onto to Cardiff meant an extra day added either side of the filming. The team had sorted everything out, booked the hotel and been very flexible with regards to times and arrangements. Everything was hassle free. In fact, it is worth saying at this point that I think the OC team have been the best in terms of going out their way to look after the contestants of all the three shows I have done thus far.


After the long trip the day before the filming began and we were given quite a late slot if I remember correctly in the afternoon (round about 3pm ish). Now the new format of the show, with every team given at least two goes, made arrangements a tad more complicated but it meant we would be filming one show at that time and then hanging around if we lost for the second show or going back to the hotel if we won and returning the next day.


As soon as we got there the team looked after us well, directing us to the dressing room which we had to ourselves, talking through what Victoria was going to say, arranging clothes etc. We were there just in time for lunch in the BBC Canteen and then it was make up time. Before long we were in the studio.


On both this and Eggheads it has felt rather surreal walking into a TV set having watched the show in question several times. After taking our seats we were guided through how the recording would work and played a small practice game making sure we were comfortable with every round.




Our opponents for the first game we noticed included Rachel Neiman who I would face again 7 days later in the Brain of Britain heat in Manchester...small world. Also included were Adam Barr, who you may have seen on the recent University Challenge special and Richard Gilbert, a winner on University Challenge (I think!).


After settling in and getting touched up with make up (I am always told I look pale and seem to end wearing more make up than anyone!)we were ready to go and waited for Victoria to arrive.


I will post up Part 2 after the show has aired to avoid spoilers...







1 comment:

  1. NO comments about the show just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.
    Still, thanks for making the observation about travelling, Dan. I would love to attend at least one or two grand prix during the year, but I live another half an hour west of Cardiff. We had a Grand Prix in Cardiff in 2009, and one in Bristol the year before. Other than that, it just seems that every venue is hours away from me, and what with the cost of petrol, then the cost of entry ( which is worth it for what you get, but not cheap), then it being a question of either do a horrible amount of driving in one day, or stay in a hotel (more expense). That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete