I am going to upload the 80 questions (which formed half of the quiz) which I set for the event. 8 sets in total :)
1. This American Musician has collaborated on songs with Elton John, Sting and Kate Bush and has had music composed for him by Vaughn Williams, Malcolm Arnold. In 1953, he was nominated for an Oscar for his work on the soundtrack of the film Genevieve. To celebrate his 80th Birthday, he released an album with George Martin entitled “The Glory of Gershwin” which reached No. 2 in the UK Album Charts. Name this individual, who never looked back on his career on his after winning the 1927 Baltimore Harmonica Championships?
2. This singer was born in Illinois in 1953 and joined the group “Shades of Black” in 1969. In 1980 she released her first solo album called “Naughty” and in 1986 performed a duet with David Bowie on the soundtrack to the film Labyrinth. In 1984 she topped the UK charts with a song written by Prince. The first name of her stage name means “fire” in English although her real name is Yvette Stevens. Name this individual who had hits with the songs “I Feel For You” and “I’m Every Woman”?
3. This Scottish indie band share their name with an Emmy award winning daytime chat show from the USA. Lead singer Kyle Falconer formed the band in 2005 and their latest album “Ropewalk” was released in 2015. They are best known for a number 3 hit single in 2007 which came from the album “Hats off to the Buskers”. Name this band who had their biggest hit with the song “Same Jeans”?
4. This guitarist ranked third on Rolling Stone Magazines poll to find the greatest guitarists of all time with the magazine describing him as “the pontiff of powerriffing”. He has twice been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992 and again 1995, for his work with the two bands for which he is best known. He featured in the closing ceremony of the 2008 Olympics, composed the soundtrack to the film Death Wish II and was given an OBE in 2005 for his Charity work in Brazil. Name this guitarist who has been a member of The Honeydrippers, The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin?
5. What is the stage name of the individual who released “Gangs Signs and Prayer” in 2017, which became the first grime album to reach Number 1 on the UK Album chart and who has the real name Michael Omari?
6. Considered one of the most important composers of the 20th Century, this individual lived between 1881 and 1945. There are statues of him in South Kensington, Brussels and outside of his final place of residence in New York. He was also a talented Pianist and known as an important collector and arranger of folk songs. He is best remembered for his First and Second String Quartets as well as the ballets ‘The Wooden Prince’ and ‘The Miraculous Mandarin’, but perhaps his most famous work is the 1991 one act opera “Bluebeards Castle”. Name this composer, who along with Franz List, is considered the most influential Hungarian composer of the 20th Century?
7. This Abba song originally featured on the album “Voulez Vouz” and was released as a single in 1979 when it was beaten to the Xmas Number 1 spot by Pink Floyd. Name this song that became a Xmas Number 1 hit as part of a double A-side 20 years later for Westlife?
I Have a Dream
8. What name is shared by a song on the David Bowie album “Hunky Dory” which he dedicated to his son, and the British indie band formed in 2004 by lead singer Luke Pritchard who had their biggest hit with “She Moves in Her Own Way”?
9. Which solo artist currently has the biggest selling debut album of the 21st century and last December tweeted “'If you thought 2016 was bad, I'm releasing an album in 2017”?
10. Which music festival was first held in 2003, with Iron Maiden and Audioslave as headliners and takes places annually at Donnington Park, Leicestershire ?