Thursday 12 December 2013

Pub Quizzing 2013

As 2013 draws to a close I always tend to find myself in a reflective mood. Looking back across the year I think I have been to more pub quizzes this year than in any other and maintain that the best way to become a better quizzer is to actually quiz as much as possible. 

My quizzing this year has, of course, mainly took place in my home city of Sunderland. Fitzgeralds Quiz on a Thursday Evening has remained a highlight. 


The quiz takes place at 9pm each Thursday and although it has changed this year to include a music round, it still remains one of the finest quizzes in the area. Plenty of General Knowledge, a good range of teams, a total handle on cheating and more importantly some fine real ales. They also started a Sports Quiz this year which I attend a few times but clashing with the Quiz League means I have not been able to attend it as much as I maybe would have liked but it is certainly well worth a look.

Monday Nights have usually involved a Red Tooth quiz at one of Sunderland's finest pubs...The Isis. 


As you can see this is a brilliant pub in the city centre with a traditional feel and the best range of ales on the city centre.The quiz is Red Tooth which I know a lot of people are not too keen on but under new stewardship, the standard Red Tooth quiz has improve dramatically this year and again this is a pub that has a good mix of regular teams, a good host and a handle on cheating!


Various other quizzes I have tried throughout the year. Chaplins in the city centre has a good following and is organised by a close friend of mine, but the excessive cheating takes away any enjoyment and with it being on the same night as Fitzgeralds quiz there is only going to be one option for me.

The Kings Arms quiz on a Sunday continues to be a written quiz with 50 questions and all afternoon to try them out. There has been some great questions but the lack of answers on the day, the lack of a host and the lack of a score unless you go back the next week takes some of the fun out of proceedings, but certainly  a quiz which I will venture back to in 2014.

However, for want of a better phrase, Pub Quiz of The Year has to be a quiz I attended during a short stay in Edinburgh in the summer at a small city centre-ish pub called The Barony.



Ran by a top quizzer and with a great simple format, this is the type of pub quiz I wish existed in Sunderland. Proper quiz questions, well thought out teasers and (when I was there) a good quiz-keen crowd makes for my favourite Pub Quiz night of the year!


In 2014 I hope to try out a few other quizzes I have yet to sample including an Iphone/Ipad quiz which seems to be doing the rounds nationally as well as trying to find some decent quizzes further a field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment