Friday 20 April 2018

Quiz Review - Music Quiz, The Grange Sunderland

Image result for the grange sunderland
 
Location: The Grange, Sunderland
 
Time: Sundays, from 8.30pm
 
 
 
Lying around 1 mile outside of Sunderland City Centre, the Grange is part of the Sizzling chain and probably the closest pub to my home. I have know about the existence of the Sunday Night Music Quiz in the venue for some time, and eventually managed to get round to attending last weekend. I am usually quite strong on music quiz questions, not so much on audio rounds, so didn't know what to expect. I convinced my other half to come along, and we were one of about 8 teams competing for a prize of a meal voucher for the pub itself.
 
I will start with the positives....the format is great with a lot of different styles of rounds to keep players occupied. Pictures, themed audio rounds, traditional audio rounds, list rounds...clearly effort is made to putting together a fun quiz. In all there are around 20 music quiz questions, 16 pieces of audio, 10 pictures in the picture round and a handout round. Last weeks was a list of Oscar Winning songs and you simply had to identify the films from which they came. I did enjoy it on the whole, and my other half also did (which is a rare when it comes to quizzing)....however there is one big criticism.
 
It was pitched at far too low of a level....this isn't me being arrogant, but we scored 57/60 and came 5th. There was a 4 way tie for first place on 58/60 and the lowest score was 54/60. I am all for an easy first half to get people suckered in and thinking they can win, but a harder second half is a must if thats the style. I personally would much rather come 5th with 70% of the points and have learned a think or two, than be 5th with only 3 points dropped. It is very easy to write an easy quiz.....the skill comes in writing a quiz that is going to produce staggered results.
 
I will give it another go, and if you are in the area it is well worth attending. If it is always so simple though, I maybe will look elsehwere
 

No comments:

Post a Comment