Wednesday 16 May 2012

When the Quizmaster helps....

Now, I have raised this issue before on TQA and it has come to light again at a quiz night I have started to attend. The quiz night other than one issue is fine.....that issue being the way in which prior to collecting the sheets in the Quizmaster does the rounds and gives answers out.

I know this goes on a lot and I know why Quizmasters do it, but for me it is ruining what could be a great quiz. There is a huge difference between giving a friendly clue and blatantly giving answers.

Without meaning to sound offensive to anyone, I do not look like the kind of person who would be good at quizzes. Me and my other half are the usual pairing to go to quizzes and the fact that a) we are younger than most entrants and b) there is only two of us means we tend to get help even if we don't want it. The quizmaster never looks at the right answers to give an assessment at how a team has performed, he just looks at the blanks and provides help. This is a terrible way to do things and against the logic I assume he is using to make sure everyone has a decent score.

My problem I guess is I take quizzes too seriously, as I assume anyone reading this blog does. Thats not a bad thing but it does mean we are at odds with others in the pub who don't. I don't mind getting things wrong as long as I can learn from it and Id rather get no points than score points from the quizmasters help. Last night for instance, the Trivia Trail (where the answers begins with the last letter of the last answer) was tricky and I messed question 5 up which set my trail off on the wrong path. I would rather take the wrong path and get an honest score than have the quizmaster tell me what is wrong and what the right answer is.

Other than that a few good questions last night...I messed up on a Star Trek question in naming the characters based on positions held in the TNG crew (confusing Jordi and Data) and also did not realise Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes were some of the richest managers in the Premier League. A Bugs Life too came up to the fore and caught me out with a question about the enemies in the film. Either way I don't mind getting questions like this wrong as it allows me to go away and learn.

But I guess thats the end of my rant....at least I have found one quiz in the area that is run properly. Now I just need some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment