Monday 11 November 2013

Pressure Pad - BBC



Pressure Pad began on BBC last week in the 3pm slot on BBC One. Hosted by John Barrowman, Pressure Pad pits two teams of 5 against each other in a string of one to one contests leading to final.....think Eggheads and you are close.

However, rather than standard quiz questions to gimmick here is a large "pressure pad" which you can see in the above picture. As far as I can gather there are about 8-10 different variations on the rounds which range from having to answer questions to keep a sliding bar away from you to stepping on parts of a UK map to identify locations. Throw into the mix multiple choice answers, list based questions and link the answer to the question challenges and it is quite varied which so far has been its main appeal. I think in terms of the format and variety Pressure Pads must be commended.

However, the one down side for me personally is a)the standard of questions and b) the selection of teams. Without sounding patronising the show is clearly not aimed at quizzers, indeed I know of a team of good quizzers who were rejected at the last minute for this after being promised a place, and that shows. The novelty of the show is keeping me watching thus far and I am far from being bored of this show but with good quizzers and tougher questions this could be so much more!

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying this as well, but the one thing that annoys me is the format for the final. I don't think it's fair that one player gets to keep their turn until either they get an answer wrong or they win. It happens a fair few times that the first player gets them all right to start with, without the other team even getting a chance. Considering that the team that has the most players left starts anyway, I think that this is too much of an advantage. They should take turns, and go to a tie-breaker if they both reach the goal on the same pass.

    I prefer Perfection (which was in that slot before), but I'm enjoying Pressure Pad enough to keep watching it.

    ReplyDelete