Sunday 20 July 2014

Week in Quizzing

I may have mentioned previously that I have spent much of the weekend moving home. Not as stressful as a full move as I have simply moved around 20 minutes down the road and into my girlfriends flat. After spending 2 years living in Sunderland, a time which I have enjoyed very much, it is onwards to South Shields. I will thus be spending some time over the next few weeks searching for local quizzes so if anyone is from the area, or knows of any good quizzes, let me know!
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Transporting my book collection was by far the trickiest task of the venture. Faced with constant questions of  -
 
 
“Do you really need this one”?
 
”Isn’t this World History Book the same as that World History Book?”
 
”I am sure I have just seen three copies of this Pears Cyclopedia somewhere else?”
 
 
But no, despite the added trips and the back breaking effort, I managed to not part with a single book. Result!
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
I have managed to keep revision going strong this week. As strange as this sounds, my new moves means more commuting time, and as I am currently using public transport, this means more reading time.  One book which has kept my attention is Thomas Penn’s excellent The Winter King. A Gripping fact-heavy, highly readable account of a fascinating period in British History. Follow the link below for more information – HERE
 
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
I have also been ramping up my Shakespeare knowledge as, despite feeling confident enough with it since I first started taking up quizzing seriously, I have been getting an awful lot of questions wrong on the subject as of late. To vary things up a bit I have been turning to a mixture of texts and film adaptations and must recommend this excellent star-studded adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. Click HERE for further informtion.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The week ahead sees the North East Heat of the CIU Quiz. If you recall, last year we made it through the heat in second place and managed to come third in the Final. With a team containing Kevin Ashman coming only second it was some achievement. I will once again be on a team with local players from the Sunderland Echo Quiz League (including Brain of Britain semi finalist Dave Taylor) so fingers crossed we can qualify again. In opposition will be teams including former national champions Gosforth Empire and a team led by current Mastermind Clive Dunning. Should be a great night!
 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Current Applications Pending:
 
 
Fifteen to One (Anyone who applied had word yet?)
 
The Edge (I think this may be filming soon so I can cross that off…)
 
Pointless (Still keeping my fingers crossed)
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Have a good week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment