Monday 28 July 2014

Week in Quizzing


Although most the week has been spent unpacking (mainly books) there has been plenty of time for other bits and bobs. The CIU Quiz North East Heat took place on Wednesday and I headed through to Lemmington in Newcastle, with the same team who had placed 3rd at the national finals last year, so hopes were high. I will be doing a separate post about the event later but suffice to say for now things did not work out as planned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The World Cup and Commonwealth Games have been merely a distraction as I await the return of the Sunderland Echo Quiz League :). The presentation night, with the annual pairs competition takes place this week. I very much enjoyed the pairs last year, the first time indeed I had quizzed in such a competition. Of course, often I quiz in a twosome but I very much enjoyed the pairs contest and hope to do a tad better this year!

Ashbrooke will also receive their winners trophy after winning the league last year. In two season I have played the league I think a different team has won all of the 4 competitions I have taken part in which bodes well for the diversity of the league I guess!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have spent a lot of the week setting for the upcoming knockout contest that precedes the Sunderland Echo Quiz League actually. Over the summer I have been cobbling together odd pairs of questions here and there only to find when I drew up my list, I had over 160 questions (only 48 needed) so the weekend was spent narrowing it down for the set to be used on 6th August. I will of course post up the set once the games have been played.

I find setting to be a very enjoyable part of being in a Quiz League. I never thought prior to joining the League I would say that, but I would love to set League questions on a more permanent and regular basis.

One of my favourite quizzing memories of last year was setting, and presenting, a full set of questions to the League which produced 3 close games. Fingers crossed for this set.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still on the lookout for quizzes in South Shields to attend. I have not quite had time to hunt around the pubs as of yet but a friend who works at Red Tooth has given me some ideas of local pubs hosting quiz nights. If anyone local knows any good quiz nights within South Shields...please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Try The Wouldhave on Wednesdays or further afield The Fire Station Whitley Bay on a Monday (both on www.pub-quiz.com)

    ReplyDelete