Tuesday 24 November 2020

Quiz League Recap - Plate Cup Round 1

 After losing our first game in the Online Quiz League Cup (Details Here) Disparate Origins began our quest for the plate last week against Trivia UK (who run a fabulous podcast...more on that later). It was a great set from premier setter Rob Hannah that, with the 13 point handicap against us, proved to be a close game.

Here are my questions from Seat 2b...

Round 1 - Which famous waterfalls stand on their namesake river on the border between the Argentine province of Misiones and the Brazilian state of Paraná? 

My streak of not getting the first question in my seat right continued! Geography questions are my weakest by far and I could not even hazard a guess in this. It went for a 'X' in the game and I certainly won't forget this next time.

Answer: Iguazu Falls

 

Round 2 - What is the name of the cold beetroot soup that originated in Ukraine but is now popular throughout eastern Europe? 

Thankfully a good old quiz chestnut to get my first points on the board. Sometimes in these matches, the longer it takes me to score a 2, the worse I play and even though food and drink is another of my weak areas, this is one of the most common questions out there so I was glad it fell to me!

Answer: Borscht


Round 3 - What name, from the Ancient Greek for ‘burning up’, was given to the hypothesized fire-like element once thought to be contained within combustible bodies?

Something I do remember learning at one point but this wasn't going to come to me in the 10 seconds available. Luckily, a team mate was on the ball and picked up the bonus. This has came up a few times now over the years so need to make sure it sticks next time (although Im pretty sure I made that vow last time I got this wrong!)

Answer: Phlogiston

 

 

Round 4 - Which Pritzker Prize-winning architect, who died aged 104 in 2012, is best-remembered for his many designs in the planned city of Brasília? 

When I was first planning to attend the World Quizzing Championships back in 2012, I put a ton of work into Architecture as I pitched it as one of my week subjects. 8 years on and  its turned into a key strength and I was confident in giving the answer here and took my score to 2 from 2. I have yet to score a (6) this seasons so would need a full house in the second half to achieve this!

Answer: Oscar NIEMEYER 

 

 

Round 5 - What was the surname of the brothers with the forenames Tony and Rory, who played international rugby union for England? 

After a pair on the Hastings brothers in the first half, I was hoping the other half would fall to me. Happily it did! The hopes of a (6) were still on....

Answer: Underwood

 

Round 6 - What surname is shared by the man who directed Do the Right Thing, the man who directed The Son of Frankenstein, and the man who directed Life of Pi

This is the perfect sort of question that would be so so easy in a pub quiz, but given the 10 second time constraints in the OQL it becomes more tricky. With three parts to the question, only two of which meant something to me, it took my half the time to focus on one particular part I thought I knew (Life of Pi) and then another 4.99 seconds to remember Ang Lee. My most satisfying answer of the night on a personal level. Maybe I would get that elusive (6) after all...

Answer: Lee

 

Round 7 - Between 1904 and 1908, the Germans fought the Herero Wars against the Herero people of which modern-day country? 

...and by bye goes that 6. I wasn't even on the right continent with my guess of Bolivia and approached the question all wrong. Had I cottoned on to Africa first and shouted out an African country that was an ex colony I may have said the correct answer. Alas I didn't....

Answer: Namibia

  

Round 8 - Gary Barlow and Ed Sheeran have each had UK number 1 hits with songs with which one-word title? 

Modern pop music seems to be something that, through a combination of the media, spotify and the constant presence on the radio at work all day!, I am stronger on than I expect to be. I had not kown the pair to this, but luckily knew Ed Sheeran had a hit with "Sing" and it rung a bell with  Gary Barlow too so was able to give a fairly certain answer.

Answer: Sing


I will always be happy with a 5 and looking at the three I got wrong, I can't be too disappointed. I have had much worse nights that this and the main thing is the team won. 


It was my turn to be captain for the night so I was able to pick up the following on a bonus.....

Bonus - One of the smallest stadia ever to host Premier League football, Boundary Park is home to which current League Two team? 

Everyone had their firsts out on the team, but I had been kind which Bonuses so took this one myself. 

Answer: Oldham Athletic

No comments:

Post a Comment