Sunday 27 December 2020

Quizzing in 2020 - The Pub Quiz

 In addition to the series that has looked at the quizzing world of 2020. the changes, the innovations and the vast array of options we now have as quizzers, I can't ignore one aspect of 2020 that has changed by quizzing and that is the disappearance of the Pub Quiz, specifically my Sunday Night quiz at The Albert in Sunderland. Although some quizzes did start up again briefly during the Summer, the local restrictions, nature of the quiz and usual array of teams, meant that relaunching the quiz wasn't really viable and to stay on the safe side, it hasn't taken place since March. The pub itself remained open when permitted, operating with a delicious festive takeaway menu at the moment, but the quiz is still yet to return.


Like many other hosts, I miss various parts of hosting the pub quiz. The research each week not only was enjoyable but added to my own knowledge and during the lockdown period, I have been able to answer countless questions correct due to the fact that I had set it in the pub quiz. Particularly current affairs stuff....and indeed the reverse has happened, I have missed out on getting points on current affairs questions I would have lapped up if I was setting.


I have missed more than just the research and quiz writing element. Sunday night's were more of a social thing and I had great teams competing on a regular basis. The quiz did take up a lot of my week and was hitting a good stride before Lockdown hit, so the year of hard work was really starting to pay off. 


Lets hope 2021 sees the Albert Pub Quiz return in some form!

No comments:

Post a Comment