Thursday 9 February 2012

Fun and "easy" quiz???


I have a few local pubs and clubs on my Facebook and one in particular, mentioning no names, issued the following status update.......

"Join us on Thursday Night for a night of fun. An up to date Karaoke followed by an Easy Quiz at 9pm"

This struck me as rather odd. Why on earth would you advertise a quiz as being easy? Is it to tempt people to turn up? Obviously it is.....but why would someone turn up to an Easy Quiz? Are the people in question suggesting that there is an audience out there who would turn up to a quiz as long as it was "easy". I have never met such a person.

The general quiz audience in this area is older folk and at 26 I am always the youngest quizzer in the room at 90% of quizzes. Rarely do you see teams full of under-30's. I don't know if this is the case elsewhere but living in a small town that is what I am limited to at the moment. But every quiz I know of is well contested, well pitched and people certainly do not want it "easy".

By advertising it as an "easy" quiz it may put the normal quiz crowd off. There is a decent jackpot prize at the venue which may entice people in, and indeed being a Thursday Night there is not much quiz competition in the area, but labelling it in such a way to me puts off a normal quiz crowd. Why have a quiz if you are going to advertise it in a way that labels it in such a fashion that it potentially drives people away. I have been to the quiz in question before and a) it was not easy (I dare say the toughest picture round I have faced) and b) although the pub was full less than 50% of people were playing. So unless there has been a radical change, which I doubt as it is the same host, the quiz being advertised as "easy" isn't so.

It just baffled me a little bit that in order to make the quiz more popular they decide to advertise is using the word easy. For me that has had the opposite effect!





No comments:

Post a Comment