Tuesday 20 March 2012

The Quiz Addict Quiz Trek 2012 #7


Riley's, Sunderland

Riley's is of course a nationwide chain of snooker/pool clubs and since moving to Sunderland I have found myself in the venue on more than one occasion. Last week whilst in I noticed a poster for a St. Patricks day quiz and decided to head along on Saturday to try it out.

It timed nicely, with the Sunderland FA cup match on. I sat and watched that, in a very busy pub and at full timer I started to notice people completing what looked like quiz sheets. Asking behind the bar I found out the quiz was an "all day" quiz in which you simply collected the free sheets and handed them in. No time details were given, even when we handed in the sheet we were not told when the results were announced. Considering we completed it after the Sunderland game at about 3pm we knew it was going to be a long wait.

The first problem with any hand-out quiz is cheating is easier. The first time we actually noticed people playing the quiz was when we saw a team literally on google on their phones writing in answers. This put me off straight away but I had came for a quiz and I sure as heck was going to do it.

It seemed to be produced by a company called Party House and had a few Irish celebs to identify and 40 Irish themed questions. Some real old chestnuts and painfully obvious ones in their and a few that got me thinking. I did enjoy answering the questions but due to the format as soon as it was handed it and the bar maids did not now how it was being marked etc, we decided it probably was not worth sticking around as if it as an "all day" quiz then we probably would be there a very long time. Besides, I did it honestly and would only be annoyed when the results came back of the teams of cheats winning.

Nevertheless, another entry onto my quiz trek, Saturday Afternoon quizzing which is very rare but not something I would do again in a rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment