Friday 22 June 2012

Jackpot Success - Suspicions

Well for the first time in quite a while we managed to walk away with a jackpot win last night. The pub in question usually offers a £100 jackpot but it is rarely won, however this week they had decided to have a "guess the year" jackpot where a spot on guess would gain £100 and if this did not happen there would be prizes for £50, £30 and £20 for the closest three.

The question came up and I was sure I knew it...."In what year did Dick Whittington die?. It was one of those rare occasions in the jackpot where I actually roughly knew the answers. With only 60 seconds to think I decided a strange tactic. I knew roughly it was around the early 1420's so went for one guess just below and one guess just above what I thought it was. I was not being greedy by buying two guesses but did steamroller my other halfs efforts when I knew the question was gettable.

Sure enough the answer I had in my head was right but did the tactic pay off? Third place.....wasn't us the £20 went to the next table. £30......my other halfs name was read out. £50.....Mine! Quite a sweep.

But you can guess what happened next..........

Groans....head shakes...tuts...mimics of phones being tapped....."It shouldnt be allowed having two from the same table". This is very ironic as I suggested at the start it should be one guess per team as the team of 10 who had quite rightly taken pleasure in trumping everyone in the quiz mathematically had more chance of winning than a team of two. But alas the top two prizes to us.

It is one down side, major downside to quizzing I am finding. We have been regulars now for weeks, but money into the jackpot every week to build up and despite being the smallest team by far we play fairly and honestly every week.

It wasn't a very pleasant win as some of the other regulars felt narked the same table had won the top two prizes and it made me feel really awkward which it shouldn't. I know in other quizzes I play in any big winners of the jackpot/bingo games etc gets a well done and a smile.

It is becoming a recurring theme that anything our team or two does that results in any win whether that be the quiz, a pint cheque from winning the round or the jackpot its the same accusation of cheating and foul play.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel

    Well, after all that I hope that you kept both prizes.

    Stuff the begrudgers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did yes, the quizmaster knows us by now so he knew it was an honest win.

    ReplyDelete