Thursday 26 July 2012

Doing The Papers? What’s your technique?

Doing The Papers? What’s your technique?

Whatever level quizzing you are at keeping up to date with the news is vital and for many quizzers catching up with papers is a time consuming (albeit a pleasurable one) and detailed affair. I have often wondered how other quizzers approach this …what papers do you read? How many? How often? And how much time you actually spend on them. I would love to hear other people’s habits.

I tend to read three papers a day on weekdays. Usually a high brow paper such as The Telegraph or The Times which I would spend most time reading. A tabloid to keep up on gossip and news items that are vital for the average pub quiz (usually The Sun) and also another paper depending on features/supplements (anything from the i to the Express). This takes up a few hours of my day and I usually write quiz questions relating to news items as I am going (some of which you will have seen appear on here).

Weekends are very different. I buy The Telegraph on Saturday which is packed with supplements to cover all corners of my knowledge and tend to also buy one tabloid for the reasons above…usually again The Sun.

Sundays, depending on what I am doing, I’ll buy The Observer, Time and The Sun and the supplements usually last me all week. I do try and read all sections at least briefly in case I can pick anything useful up. This takes a lot of time and I would also write questions as I go.

I have found this way and this range of newspapers, along obviously with TV and Radio news, works a treat and although I do drop the odd point at current affairs this technique makes those rounds an easy way to notch up points.

No comments:

Post a Comment