Friday 22 May 2020

Quizzing in Lockdown - #5 - Robbies Quarantine Quiz

The series is proving popular, so will continue as long as there are quizzes to mention! The latest comes from Robert Ford



Can you tell us the times and dates of the quiz you run online?

Robbie's Weekly Quintessential Quarantine Quiz runs every Wednesday at 8pm over Zoom video conferencing.


What is the current format?

The quiz is free to join but we do suggest a voluntary charity donation to our charity of the week; each week’s charity is chosen by last week’s quiz winner. The quiz is a pen & paper honesty quiz; no multiple choice questions ever! It can be quite challenging difficulty wise as I try to cater to a broad range of ages.

We use Zoom video conferencing for the quiz, everyone finds it more interactive as they can see 

each other and also ask questions and make the odd well timed quip as the quiz goes along.

Each week's format is as follows:

🖼️ Picture Round (always a random theme)

📰 Have I Got News For You (Current Affairs from the last 7 days)

👎 Loser's Round (A topic selected by last week's losers; questions are written by myself)

🧀 The Trivial Pursuit Round (12 questions, two from each trivial pursuit topic so each week’s quiz covers as much ground as possible. The questions are not actually taken from the game!)

🙏 The Charity Round (Bonus points are rewarded to any team that has donated to that week’s chosen charity. I spin the Wheel of Good Karma to find out how many points are rewarded)

👻 Robbie's Random Round (a mystery topic of my choosing. Some examples are conspiracy theories and name the comedian.)

🎵 The Music Round (the structure changes, often intros can also be song lyrics plus a connection. Always 2 songs from each of the last 6 decades of music.)

🔗 The Connection Round (a classic connection round)


How have you found adapting to hosting Online?

I’d never hosted a quiz in my life before so this is all new to me. I love going to pub quizzes so I thought I would put one on for my friends; I enjoyed it and they enjoyed it so I continued. Nine weeks later we are up to 84 quiz teams from all over the place participating through a Zoom meeting.

We’ve raised over £1200 for charity in that time period which is quite surreal!

Practise makes perfect and I finally feel like I know what I’m doing now! I’m always trying to improve the quiz and add as much humour as possible.


Where and when are normal quiz nights held?

If there is enough support I will continue to do an online quiz even after lockdown is over. I certainly have a newfound respect for quiz masters as it is not an easy job pulling a quiz together. If this becomes a future career I will let you know where the in person quizzes take place!


How can people get in touch if they want to know more?

Subscribe to the quiz @ www.rwqqquiz.com (You will be sent an email with details on how to join the quiz each week.)

Email me @ robwilliamford@gmail.com

Follow our social media:

Youtube: shorturl.at/hosEW

Instagram: @RWQQQuiz

Facebook: @RWQQQuiz

Twitter: @RWQQQuiz

No comments:

Post a Comment