Thursday 5 January 2012

The Quiz Addict Quiz Trek 2012 #1




Black Bull, Old Shotton, Peterlee


As mentioned over the New Year, one of the new features of The Quiz Addict this year is what I have called the TQA Quiz Trek. This is going to involve me trying to get to as many different quizzes in 2012 as possible. I will only be including the first trip of the year to each quiz, as I have a few regulars I still will be attending every week so here goes....

The first quiz of the year for me turned out to be last night at the Black Bull, Old Shotton, Peterlee. It is a quiz I attended a number of times last year and tended to enjoy. There was a decent number of teams but still a few missing, understandable considering the weather and it being early January.

Before I go any further its probably best to mention that quiz at  the Black Bull, Old Shotton, Peterlee is a Red Tooth Quiz. From my experience posting about Red Tooth before I know some people do not like the company or the questions they produce but I must admit I enjoy them. This one is in the format that involves a picture round, current affairs, connections, top 5, trivia trail and wipeout round. 60 point on offer in all.

One of the complaints I had last time when I went to this quiz was the fact that there seemed to be a lot of usage of phones and due to there being an odd layout to the pub with many areas the quiz master cannot see, the temptation for some was just too great. However last night there seemed to be an older crowd in and there was no obvious cheating.

The picture round was by Red Tooth standards pretty straight forward, no obscure footballers or music groups with our team only failing to identify Deborah Messings image. Current affairs was a bit hit and mix with a lot of the news, such as Bon Jovi's denial he had died, being from weeks ago but Ill forgive Red Tooth on this occasion with it being xmas as the current affairs are usually spot on. 

The Top 5 round is always enjoyable with 2 questions each worth five points, we all knew the first five coloured properties on Monopoly and got 4 of the 5 teams who had beaten England the most times at football (Scotland, Wales, Germany, Italy, Brazil the answers).  The Trivia Trail, a round in which the last letter of one answer is the first of the next, was really easy this week but usually this is the most interesting round.

We failed to see the connection between Pauline Fowler, Roger Black (had that answer wrong anyway), Elvis and Maurice Gibb..........they are all twins but made up for it in the wipeout round scoring 7 out of ten. 

One fantastic question in there.....What 108 year old Hollywood leading man, known to brush his teeth with slugs, has a 22 year old girlfriend? (or something along those lines)......................Shrek being the answer.

That gave us a total of 44 points and a one point win, a great start to the quizzing year. 16 pint cheques came our way and an enjoyable night was had by all!

Overall, the quiz at  the Black Bull, Old Shotton, Peterlee is fun, varied and its a nice pub, good atmosphere and if you decide to eat before hand the food is good. I know a lot of people do not like Red Tooth quizzes but I always tend to enjoy them as did my team last night. For anyone in the local area it is definitely worth trying out and as with last year I imagine I shall be there on a number off occasions in 2012.........and of course I have my pint cheques to spend!

No comments:

Post a Comment