Monday 19 December 2011

Quiz App Review #1 - Only Connect

A few months ago I upgraded my mobile phone to an iphone and now I actually know how to work the device, I have begun to treat myself to a range of quiz related apps which I am starting to build up quite a collection of. In what I hope is going to be a regular feature on the site I am going to review the quiz related apps I use starting with……




Price: £1.49

I only started getting into Only Connect at the end of the last series but wish I had known about it earlier. The show is broadcast on BBC Four and hosted by Victoria Coren. It is more than a mere general knowledge quiz, but instead uses the knowledge of the contestants to form links between words/names etc. It really is worth watching and even if the premise doesn’t sound entertaining, after one episode of Only Connect you will be hooked!

One of the main parts of the show, and one that Only Connect has had specials of, is the Wall. This is a part of the show where 16 words come up on screen and you have to connect them into 4 groups of 4. Its known to be tough and not only do you have to connect the  blocks but also state how they are connected.

It is on the Wall feature of Only Connect that the app is based. As soon as you load the game up you begin to hear the theme music from the show and the whole app is fronted by video and audio from the shows host Victoria Coren. It gives it that authentic feel and coupled with the graphics and professional look is about as close to the real Only Connect experience you can get without actually being in the Only connect studio.

The app starts you off with 10 Walls. Once you have done these ten walls you unlock 10 more and following that you can purchase further walls in packs of 10 for 69p. Hopefully the game will continue to update and more packs will become available. It all runs smoothly with good touch response and very well thought out walls and puzzles. There is minimal loading and if you fail the wall you can keep trying. It does not tell you the answers unless you ask for them meaning each wall has replay value. Of course having only 20 walls in the opening pack might mean you get through this quickly but it’s a superbly entertaining way to play Only Connect on the move.

You can play the walls from the tv show on the Only Connect website for free but I think the app walls are made with the app in mind so are new and unseen.

Either way I have not yet worked my way through 20 walls and am still enjoying this app. It’s a great way to introduce friends to Only Connect too and all my family have had a go so the money has been more than worth it.

For fans of Only Connect it is essential and even for those with a tendency to quiz this is on app you really should treat yourself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment